It’s hard to find a great truffle recipe that isn’t too complicated, isn’t it? Cooking with truffles really seems like it’s a lot harder than it ought to be. Maybe that’s because truffles are such an expensive and rare ingredient that chefs sometimes think they have to be used in the most complicated way possible. But that’s just not true!
Cooking with truffles doesn’t have to be hard, and I’m here to show you how to make it simple. If you’re looking for information on making a mouthwatering meal featuring truffles without going to too much trouble, you’ve come to the right place!
In this article, you’ll find out everything you need to know about making white or black truffle mac and cheese from the ground up. You’ll be given five delicious recipes that use real truffles as part of their ingredients, so you’ll be able to put together a real show-stopping meal that doesn’t have a lot of extra bells and whistles.
I’m also going to give you some pointers about making your truffle mac and cheese recipe really shine. You’ll learn, briefly, some pro tips for making mac and cheese, as well as for cooking with truffles even if you never have before. By the time you get to the recipes, you’ll have tons of info to help you get started.
In the end of the article, I’ll also tell you the best truffle mac and cheese recipe from the list for saving money, as well as the best overall in terms of flavor. You’ll never have to wonder where to start cooking with my advice!
So, let’s move on to learning about truffle mac and cheese from square one!
Think back to the best mac and cheese you’ve ever had. It might have been in a restaurant, or it could be a favorite family member’s secret recipe. Whatever brought about that perfect mac and cheese in your life, do you remember what made it taste so special to you? Were the noodles perfectly cooked? Was the cheese melted in just the right way? Did it have a little bit of a crisp on top, or was it soft and steamy all the way through?
Making mac and cheese from scratch can be a little tough, especially if you’ve never done it before. There are a lot of different variations on this classic favorite dish, and depending on your own personal preferences, you might want to make yours a little bit different than someone else’s. However, there are a few simple tips you can keep in mind to help make mac and cheese like a professional.
Now that you know a few tips for working with mac and cheese recipes, you can move on to learning about how to cook with truffles.
You’ve got your mac and cheese figured out, and you feel good about your ability to work with it from start to finish. You understand how to make a great sauce, how to choose more than one type of cheese, and how to pick the right pasta base. But now, it’s time to start getting those truffles ready for cooking, and you might be a little stuck! You might not have ever even seen a truffle in person before this. If not, don’t worry! There are plenty of people just like you learning to cook with truffles for the first time.
If you’ve never worked with truffles before, you’re probably feeling a little overwhelmed and maybe even worried. And if you’re buying fresh, in-season truffles, you likely don’t want to run the risk of wasting any of these expensive ingredients by improperly preparing them! It’s a good idea to have a pretty firm grasp of how to cook with truffles before you get started. These tips are here to help you learn.
Put these tips to good use the next time you need to prepare truffles. Whether you’re making mac and cheese or not, these tips are a great way to be sure your truffles come out looking and tasting great every time.
This recipe is simple as far as making mac and cheese from scratch goes. It doesn’t include any actual truffles but does have truffle oil, which can give you a lot of flavor without as high of a price.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
1. In a pan over medium-high heat, melt butter.
2. Add garlic and onions and cook until just brown.
3. Add flour and whisk for 3 minutes.
4. Add milk and whisk, bringing to a boil.
5. Stir constantly so the sauce does not burn, and cook for 10 minutes until flour has dissolved and cannot be tasted.
6. Add cooked pasta to the pan and stir.
7. Add oil, herbs, and half of the cheese and stir again to melt.
8. Add salt and pepper and stir once more.
9. Place mixture into an oven-safe dish and top with breadcrumbs and remaining cheese.
10. Set under broiler for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.
If you prefer your macaroni and cheese baked instead of simply broiled on top, try out this easy recipe. It makes for a perfectly seasoned dish you won’t soon forget.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cook pasta until just before al dente in a pot of water over medium heat. Be sure to salt the water.
3. Strain pasta and place on a sheet pan.
4. Melt half of the butter in a separate pot over medium heat.
5. Whisk in flour and turn to low.
6. Cook for 4 minutes while stirring.
7. Add in truffles, onion, milk, and bay leaf, and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. Remove bay leaf and onion and turn off heat.
9. Add all cheese except for 2 ounces of the cheddar.
10. Add salt and pepper, then fold in macaroni gently.
11. Place in casserole dish and top with cheddar.
12. Melt 3 tbsp butter in a skillet and add parsley, cayenne, and breadcrumbs. Toss.
13. Top macaroni with breadcrumbs and bake for 30 minutes.
14. Let stand 5 minutes and serve with truffle garnish.
This delicious recipe incorporates peelings from truffles as well as quality truffle oil to bring a delicious flavor together in every bite. This is a complicated dish, but well worth the effort in the end!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven.
2. Cook shallots while stirring until just caramelized.
3. Add oregano and thyme and stir.
4. Turn heat to medium-high and stir in roasted garlic. Cook for 2 minutes more.
5. Add brandy and sherry, and scrape the bottom of the pan.
6. Turn heat to medium and add truffle peelings and liquid.
7. Add cream, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, tabasco sauce, and truffle oil.
8. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
9. Whisk the egg in a small bowl while slowly adding a few drops at a time of hot cream mixture.
10. When egg is tempered, whisk it into the cream mixture.
11. Cook until sauce coats a spoon easily, then turn off heat.
12. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
13. Cook noodles to just before al dente in a large pot of salted water.
14. Combine drained noodles with Fontina cheese in a mixing bowl.
15. Add cream mixture and stir to coat.
16. Pour into ramekins or a casserole dish.
17. Top with breadcrumbs and remaining Parmesan cheese.
18. Bake until golden on top.
This delicious truffle mac and cheese is a tasty take on a classic dish. It’s sure to go over great at your next dinner party, or the next time you just want to treat yourself to something delectable.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
1. Sweat onion and garlic in a stock pot in olive oil over medium heat until aromatic.
2. Add shaved truffles, herbs, and cream.
3. Reduce heat to low and cook until mixture reduces by half.
4. Add salt, pepper, and Parmesan.
6. Add remaining cheese and stir until melted completely.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Layer the bottom of a casserole or baking dish with truffle slices.
9. Top with noodles.
10. If desired, top with more Parmesan or more grated truffles.
11. Bake for 10 minutes.
This recipe is a great way to enjoy the taste of truffles and the texture of other types of mushrooms at the same time. It incorporates truffle butter, which stands alone well or pairs nicely with shaved or jarred truffle pieces, too.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
1. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil with butter in a large saucepan over medium.
2. Cook mushrooms for 5 minutes.
3. Add sherry and cook for 2 minutes more.
4. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Boil a pot of water and add salt and olive oil.
6. Add pasta and cook until just before al dente; drain.
7. In a large, separate saucepan, melt truffle butter and add flour.
8. Whisk constantly and cook for 2 minutes over low heat.
9. Whisk in hot milk and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
10. Cook until sauce is thick.
11. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
12. In a large mixing bowl, combine pasta with sauce and cooked mushrooms.
13. Pour mixture into a large baking dish.
14. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
15. In a food processor, pulse parsley and garlic to mince.
16. Add breadcrumbs and pulse again.
17. Top pasta with bread crumb mixture.
18. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Have you learned a lot about the fine art of truffle mac and cheese? By now, you should understand that it’s not too difficult to put together the perfect mac and cheese dish with truffles, but that you will need to know a few tips and tricks to help you get started.
But which recipe is the best one? I have two top picks, each depending on a few different criteria.
To begin with, my favorite affordable truffle mac and cheese recipe is definitely the Mac and Cheese with White Truffle Oil. Although you will have to spend a little bit more to get good quality white truffle oil that is actually made with truffles, this recipe is still a lot cheaper to put together than the others on this list!
However, my number one favorite recipe listed here is the Shaved Black Truffle Macaroni. It takes a bit of time to put together, and it’s more complicated than the other recipes on this list, but it’s by far the tastiest and most impressive of the five. You’re sure to wow any dinner guests you have when you present them with this perfect balance of cheese and truffle flavors and aromas. Best of all, since it doesn’t include any whole fresh truffles, it’s still more affordable than some of the others listed here.
Don’t be afraid to head to the kitchen and get started cooking right away! You’re sure to love any one of these great recipes, so what are you waiting for? Let’s start cooking!